Sunday, November 11, 2012

thoughts on "The Other F Word"

The Other F Word Poster

I had wanted to see "The Other F Word" since I first caught wind of it being released. I was finally able to sit down last night and watch it. My mom was spending her usual Saturday one-on-one time with my son, and it was the perfect time to put on headphones and watch. (there is quite a lot of profanity in the movie)

For those who have never heard of it- It is a documentary about punk rockers and their transition into parenthood (the other F word being Father).  I have listened to these bands for years, and I was very interested in seeing how a teenage anarchist could morph into a responsible, loving parent.  It was no surprise that most of these men did not have positive male role models in their life.  Most of their fathers either left or were neglectful or abusive.  It became their mission to become better fathers than the ones who gave life to them.

During the first half of the movie I found myself laughing out loud at some of their interviews.  I smiled at the parts I could relate to- and felt a hint of guilt at how much time they spend touring and away from home, as this has become the main source of a bands income.  I am guilty of downloads, as are most of us. I never imagined that a band like Pennywise would have to spend over 200 days on tour to make ends meet at home.  They wanted to be there for their children, but at the same time needed to provide for them and put food on the table.

The second half was filled with more humor and information I never knew about some of my favorite rockers- but something unexpected happened; I found myself crying, more than once, about some of their life stories.
crying.

All in all- it is a fantastic movie.  Even if you don't listen to the music, or were never part of the "scene," it is an interesting and inspiring glimpse into the lives and families of some of the most influential punk rockers of our time.

check out the movie's website here.

xo
SC

No comments:

Post a Comment