Monday, August 20, 2012

moving up, and moving on

My sister is leaving for college tomorrow.

Ever since she started taking gifted (honors) classes in middle school she has been planning and preparing for this day. We all have, as a family. She is my only sibling, and we are 6 years apart.

I knew that she was brilliant the day she taught herself algebra just by gazing at my homework. I couldn't believe it, but I remember it like it was yesterday. She was coloring something while I tapped my pencil on the table and slouched my head against my left shoulder. She looked over at my homework page and said, "x equals (#)." I stared at her and smiled, thinking to myself *its not that easy*. Low and behold, she was right. I checked my work three times to be sure. When I asked her how she figured it out she said, "oh- I just did it in my head."

That was 10 years ago.

Flash forward- after receiving a $10k per year scholarship to a private high school, being inducted into the National Honors Society, and receiving an $80k scholarship to a fantastic college- she's finally packing her bags. She has worked hard for this moment, but it is only a step towards the next chapter in her life.

I couldn't be more proud.

It is odd to say "see you at Thanksgiving!" Instead of "see you later." Its hard to imagine her not being in my parents house. I haven't cried (yet?) but I did hug her... Twice. My last words of advice to her were:

Have fun. Be smart. Be safe.

 I can only hope for the best as she moves up in the world, and on with her life.

xo
SC

No comments:

Post a Comment